[3830] CQWW SSB N5AW SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N5AW SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 14:35:49 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: STX (EM00)

   40:   35    14       22
   20:   89    17       46
   15:  449    27       91
   10:  421    26       71
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

At six AM Friday morning we were awakened with a loud boom from a nearby
lightening strike. Took out our power. It was nearly noon before power was
restored and I was able to check the station for any damage. Sure enough the
remote switch that controls most of my antennas was not working. This has
happened before and I have a spare board for the relay box. Unfortunately
replacing the board did not solve the problem. Only way around it was to
directly connect two antennas to the coax going back to the shack about 300 feet
away. Once the contest started I found my 80 meter delta loop and my beverages
were not working either. I've done pretty well entering single band 15 the past
two years but didn't feel like putting in the effort required to be competitive
and besides wanted to take advantage of the improved conditions on ten meters so
decided to put in a token Classic entry. Did not make much effort to run Europe
but did get a nice JA run on both 10 and 15 the last couple of hours of the
contest. Hope to have things repaired by the CW weekend.