[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 21:51:44 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 28.3

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   10     7        7
   40:   20     8        8
   20:   32    15       19
   15:   87    19       34
   10:  115    22       45
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
Conditions were very good.  I was able to get 22 Qs into Europe. But they were
almost all in far western Europe so not many mults. My DXCC was 53 and my WAZ
was 25.

My best Q by far was one of the best Qs of my life. BY is tough for my 5 watts
on any band. 80 SSB for me is the land of VE, KL7, XE, and maybe KH6. But on
Sunday AM at 15 minutes before sunrise BD4RQ copied my call on 80 Meters! I'm
not certain of why I even bothered to call him. I was stunned and even checked
the frequency and antenna switch to be sure I was on 80.

My other thrilling QSO waa working AA6AA on 160 with only a few hours of night
to go on Sunday AM.  After many years of experimenting, I still have a LOUSY
antenna on 160 and getting that single Q for a double mult is a real struggle
for me! It is a bit embarrasing for a top op to spend several minutes digging my
signal out of the noise. No points for him and a double mult for me.  THANKS!!!

The 3 element SteppIR continues to work flawlessly after about 16 years. I
wonder when it is going to stop working!

See you in CQ World Wide CW!   73,  ...Bill  W6QU - W8QZA