[3830] CQWW SSB EA5S SO(A)SB80 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB EA5S SO(A)SB80 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:35:36 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: EA5S
Operator(s): EA5S
Station: EA5S

Class: SO(A)SB80 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:  187    8        45
------------------------------
Total:  187    8        45  Total Score = 10,282

Club: EA Contest Club

Comments:

My second attempt at this from a hilltop location in southern Spain. Last year
an unexpected storm took my antenna out. This year, better planning and sturdier
masts! Even though. things never go to plan, of course: my helper didn't turn up
until sundown (my fault for not clarifying, however he did help me get the
antenna up to a decent height in spite of that). Second surprise, when I
switched on the radio.. S9 QRN! New LED lighting has been installed in the
vicinity in the past year. Oh well. The radio managed to get rid of some of it.
Conditions were not bad in spite of unsettled K over Saturday night. Only
managed one QSO across the pond, thanks to K1LZ for the good ears. Heard many
many mults I wasn't able to work, it doesn't matter how good your QTH is if you
only have a dipole and 5W.... But it was good to know I could hear them anyway.
Bet QSO was with TF for a double mult, he hadn't been spotted on the cluster
when I came across him. As soon as I spotted him, all hell broke loose. As usual
with a QRP entry, the real effort is made by the guys who strained their ears to
hear me, kudos to the great operators out there. Finally, this kind of operation
wouldn't happen without the help of those in the background, this year my XYL
who stoically slept in the same room with earplugs in, Carlos "the
legionary" who helped me with the antenna setup, and Carmen and Alberto for
allowing me the use of the premises.
Seeing all the fun everyone had on the high bands, I think next year I'll be
back to 10m... but I had fun doing this and I'm glad that this year I was able
to make it work.
73 de Duncan EA5S