[3830] CQWW SSB N1LN SOSB15 Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N1LN SOSB15 Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:14:21 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOSB15 HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: NC

   15: 1000    31      122
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1000    31      122  Total Score = 436,662

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I decided to try something different for the CQWW-SSB contest. Since the high
bands have been in pretty good shape, M2 at my QTH pretty much ended with Covid,
and I am not a 48 hour single op contester, I decided to enter in the Single
Band 15 meter Classic overlay category. To do that I had to figure out a way to
make SP faster without using a DX Cluster. What I did was to change the
configuration on the N1MM bandmap spot timeout to 1 hour and tell it to show
non-workable spots. So, when I worked a station it showed up in the bandmap.  It
would stay there for an hour so on my next pass up or down the band I assumed
the station was the same if the frequency was the same. If I heard a station on
a frequency that was not showing a call sign already worked on my band map, I
would stop and see if it was new. If so I would work it. If the pileup was huge,
perhaps a rare mult, I would call a few times and move on. The spot would show
in the bandmap as not worked. That made it easy to come back to with CTRL UP or
CTRL DOWN. This process may be obvious for those that do not use Skimmer or
Clusters, but it was new to me and made the contest much more enjoyable.

Fortunately, the high bands were REALLY OPEN. I was totally amazed with the JA,
Asia, VK opening on Friday night. I expected to work HI and AK, but WOW. Then
both mornings 15 opened here at 1100 UTC, 0700 local time. So open that it was
hard to find a run frequency. That gave me lots of opportunity to use the above
SP process. That really helped with my Country and Zone mult count but my QSO
totals will probably be lower than others. I did have about 6 hours each day of
pretty good runs that helped break up the SP. Then a station would move close
and destroy the frequency and I would go back to SP until I found a new place to
RUN.

As this was to be a more casual entry I was able to take breaks when I wanted to
and then back to the chair. In the end I almost put in the allowable 24 hours,
worked more countries than expected, and had a fun time.

Thanks for the Qs and see you in the CQWW-CW.  Probably not in Classic mode
there.  I am hooked on CW Skimmer!

73,
Bruce N1LN