[3830] CQWW SSB VA3DF SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3df66@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VA3DF SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 01:22:12 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: ONS
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    6     4        2
   80:  149    15       46
   40:  197    25       84
   20:  347    31       95
   15:  601    31      104
   10:  462    27      109
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was the first contest I have competed in since the end of April - it was
good to be back! The propagation forecast was not particularly inspiring, but I
had a feeling...

It took a while to get back in the groove but as they say - it's like riding a
bicycle. Everything worked OK except one of the beverages must have been on some
kind of work to rule campaign and didn't meet expectations. Further
investigation will be required and failing that, there is always the garbage
can!

On Tuesday of last week, I installed a five element 10 m beam. It's mounted on a
standoff at 65 feet and fixed on EU. HFTA says that the combination of that
antenna and the 4 element SteppIR at 100 feet should be amazing. I gave serious
consideration to doing a single band operation on 10 but decided against that
based on the propagation forecast. Well, I guess the joke is on me as 10 was my
best band for DXCC countries!! Got to say it was great to be able to switch
(with one button press) from EU to any other direction.

Stinko condx on 80 and 160 and they didn't improve much as the weekend
progressed. Lots of cool DX around so that made the contest even more
interesting. N1MM says I worked 35 hours; I think it lies! Score is up from last
year and that's what really matters! But maybe if I ran a KW....

Many thanks to those who travelled to DX locations for the contest and suffered
through the pileups, you guys are the best! Speaking of DX locations, Tony
(VE3RZ) and I will travel to VP5 for CQWW CW. Vertical antennas by the ocean and
we look forward to working a ton of stations while we enjoy the sun and sand!

Great to be back contesting!

As usual, it's a jungle out there...

73,

Doug