[3830] TBDC KK4R Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk4r.rob@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC KK4R Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:55:55 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: KK4R
Operator(s): KK4R
Station: KK4R

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FM17

Total:  QSOs = 51  Total Score = 127

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I learned something in this contest:  I'm going to set up a
receiving antenna for 160m.  I was plodding along in the contest,
making sparse contacts just above the noise level.  There were
stations that I could detect, but not copy.  It was slow, and
everyone that was copiable was a dupe, so I went and watched half
a movie, came back in an hour and worked 8 more stations, then
went and finished the movie.  Back at the radio again and making
a few contacts, I realized that nobody seemed to need any fills
from me, but I was struggling with them.  I wondered if I
listened on another antenna would there would be better S/N?  It
was easy to switch to my 10m loop, so I did.  All of a sudden, I
could copy some of those stations right at the noise level on the
160m inverted-L, and shortly, with one hand on the switch, I had
about 10 more QSOs in the log.  Operating like this, with one
hand occupied with the antenna switch, wasn't great. I almost ran
out at midnight to throw a wire on the ground and see it
behaved like a BOG.