[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 00:36:35 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2022

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: LAX

    6:   48     5
    2:   65     6
  222:   42     5
  432:   60     5
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  215    25  Total Score = 7,925

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Earlier in the week I thought my roving plans were ruined by the remnants of
Hurricane Kay.  Thunderstorms were predicted from late Friday thru Sunday.
Thankfully, the rain came early on Friday, and everything was OK Saturday
morning.
Mentally, I had to shift gears.
I got a 30 minute late start at the beginning of the contest on Signal Hill.
Had a good amount of local activity, but no 6 meter opening.  Surprised to see
activity on 2m FT8, and I was shocked to work Jay N1AV in Tucson!  This is the
only VHF contest I remember where the longest distance QSO was on 2m.
Went to Montebello for DM04, and worked a lot of locals. Decided to leave DM13
and
DM14 until Sunday.

I usually drive out of the area for my "Driving For Multipliers"
strategy for Sept and Jan VHF.  Unfotunately, due to fires earlier in the month,
"the Grapevine" I-5 was either closed or severely restricted to
re-build the road.
The Wrightwood area had thunderheads above it on Sunday, so that was out.
I did DM13 at the Diamond Bar Center to work many locals Sunday morning, and
then I went to Pantera Elementary for DM14 in the early afternoon.  Seeing that
I needed DM12 on a couple of bands, I went to Coastal Peak Park in Newport Beach
to work them, and I got them.  Storm clouds were brewing with a lot of lightning
crashes on the radio, so I QRTed a couple of hours before the contest end.

Had lots of technical glitches.  I managed to wipe out the memory channels in my
IC-7000 twice.  Got a new laptop to bring along for digital modes on my TS-590SG
and could not get it to transmit.  Could be windows 11 related.

QSOs by Brid:
DM03   54
DM04   53
DM13   58