[3830] WPX CW NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chris.tate@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 05:00:11 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: NR6O
Operator(s): N6RO K3EST K6AW N6WM WA6O WD6T WX5S WU6P
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Radio Oakley
Operating Time (hrs): 48
OpMode: SO2R
Remote Operation

   40: 1024
   20: 1474
   15: 1221

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Well the last big cw contest of the season always has twists and turns.. but
lets be honest.. we all love this contest!!!

The build up to this contest occurred while we are prepping for major station
upgrade in the antenna dept.    was glad to be at the station Thurday to meet up
with N65RO and K6AW to square away the logggers.. and watch steve put in his new
toy... an Elecraft K4D.  the team meets weekly to discuss contest station biz..
and I volunteered to do the schedule for this one.

(from Chris N6WM) This is truly a special group of operators.. with many CQ hall
of famers, Expeditioners, and amateur royalty and great contributors of our
avocation.. and our always are expanding and have a great group of
"FNG" or new operators that are awesome and never cease to impress..
when all gelled together we maintain a team capable of greatness.

so here is how it went in the trenches of the Radio Oakley shack
10 and 20 Meters...
Bob K3EST (who was mostly 10) and Steve K6AW with his new K4 on 20

Bobs Comments:
10 was a surprise Sunday early afternoon worked EA, G, I, LZ, HA, DL, CR3, EA8,
DU. All direct path signals about 55 to 569.
Only 1 JA Friday heard several other DU’s but they didn't hear me.

20 worked maybe 4 Ukrainian calls only 1 Russian called in and was worked ok As
far as can be determined the AA has not banned RA calls. Nice to work 9N7AA and
JD1

other notes, 20 was down by more than 400 qsos due to condx.  these guys really
powered through.
K6AW was nose down in his K4 having a great time draining 20 of WPX and others.

15 meters: Chris N6WM (captain), Dave WD6T and a couple of sunday hours from
Nian WU6S, an up and coming CW contester and great op.  watch this dude, he is
already instructing at CW academy!  anyway my notes..
I started the contest and the band was open well after 0500. it was great
working asia pac to the late night.. I started to suspect something when 15 did
not open till well into the morning.. I did my thing for several hours and
passed to WD6t for the rest of Sat.. will post his comments later.  he spent all
day on the air, and was planning a qrt, so I jumped in a spelled him..
thankfully for a once in a while 15 opening to UA/UN/Scandinavia.. netting some
unexpected wpx and grins from N6WM.  Ill

15 seemed to be caught in the crossfire of the solar storm..   sometimes it was
dead, or difficult, with qsb and weak sigs, and other times it rocked.. with UN
and Scandinavians calling well after 10:30 pm local..  the group of 15 ops did a
great job and was a rare case in boosting qso totals by over 300 qsos from last
year.
WD6T notes on 15 from Sat:40m EU peak at 0200z-0300 (gray line?).  Similar to
last year Always a trade off on 40 between going for 6-pointers versus US rate
of one-pointers…but rate brings prefixes., so hard trade off.  Severe
multi-path on the EUs made smearing of numbers and QRS necessary.

15m Saturday was no doubt marred by G1 storm.  Both to EU and JA openings very
weak and short.  Best DX was a Kazakhstan that popped up in their morning long
after all S EU had disappeared.

Sunday was much better.. N6WM at the helm.. with a more normal EU oppening and
traditional asia pac.. NU6S was appreciated for relief a couple hours.  our qsos
were up from last year.

40: Mike WA6O - in his words
the most noticeable things were interstn interferences in different combinations
of high and low band  stations and very loud 30hz noise from the neighbor's
charger. It became up to s8 both nights from 3:30 am local and lasted for about
two hours.
The activity from the money source - JA - was low this year - no high rate
hours.

we were down a bit this year on 40.

80m  Matt WX5S (captain) Nian WU6S..
These 2 iron men did what they could with 80m condx presented, that were not
stellar.. will give them N6RO bic stickers for sticking it out.

160M manned up from the man.. the legend.. N6RO with his 160 comments and stn
notes
 did 160m Friday eve and 160/80 SO2R Sunday morning shift, when 80m JAs were
loud, but little activity.   Overall, the stations played well most of the
weekend. However on Saturday eve, we had abnormal inter-station interference for
a few hours;  the persistent mixing problem where 15m is wiped out when 20 and
40 TX at same time. For an hour, we experienced arcing which raised the baseline
on all radios.  That went away, when I hot-switched the 160m hybrid box relays
with 30w.  Did same with 80m 4SQ.  The team handled the harmonic issues very
well.

in the end.. we were down a little, but vy similar to last year, which is great
considering all the solar stuff going on.

Ken made contest chile on Sat.. (missed by me) and I made Ceviche with peruvian
Ahi on Sunday..

All in all.. I think all had a good time.. I even think we enjoy complaining
about solar badness... b/c.. cw contest we all love.

For the NR6O backwards wpx call and on behalf of the Radio Oakley contest team,

73
Chris
N6WM