[3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:45:26 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 6:30

  160:   57    20
   80:  278    35
   40:   29    15
   20:   10     5
   15:    1     1
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  376    77  Total Score = 28,952

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

UGH!

After setting up Friday afternoon, I had left the radio tuned to 160M.  When I
turned it on at 2330Z that band was blasted by the buzzy local noise I had heard
last weekend in NAQP CW.  Uh Oh!  This might be a good excuse to slack off, as
160M was a big band last weekend.

Jump up to 20M to start, to grab quick QSOs with the easy mult's.  Oops.  20M
pretty weak.

Down to 40M.  Not so good here, either, except for finding VE4GV (Go RSM!).  Get
a little run going.  AJ3M calls in with the DC mult (Go PVRC!).  I decide not to
break the run to move him.  Bad decision? Only one more QSO in the run.  A
little S&P, and I hear W3DQ call somebody.  I leap ahead on the band and
start calling CQ.  Sure enough, this time Eric calls in from DC, and we run the
high bands.  I figure there's time enough to find DC 80M and 160M.  Bad
decision; missed DC on those bands.

Down to 80M.  Will this be the money band, like on CW??? A little S&P until
I find a "clear" spot on 3808, and begin a 63 QSO run (116/hr).  Then
a 15 minute break for a "house tour", S&P a couple of QSOs (Hi,
Tim N3QE!), and start another run on 3730 -- 93 QSOs at 121/hr.  Then some more
S&P and short runs (and a "house tour" -- those short breaks will
kill your points-per-hour).

At 03Z it's down to 160M.  Uh oh, again.  Activity from the low end all the way
up to 1880, but signals not loud.  At least the buzzing has gone away.  Managed
a couple of short runs, and pulled in many mult's but nothing spectacular like
on CW.

Up to 80M for an hour, including a 72 QSO run (88/hr), then back to 160M (Hello,
Stu, N7ZZ; thanks for WI, and see you Canada Day).  QC and NB call in on 80M, NS
calls in on 160M.  Try to get in front of S&Per N8NA to get DE, but no luck
this time.

With 25 minutes to go I'm running on 3706.  Thirteen QSOs in 12 minutes.  With
10 minutes left the rate has dropped to zero and it's time for another
"house tour".  QRT.

I have some difficulties processing even live speech; SSB is even tougher.  With
that and my poor typing skills, I'm sure my log has lots of errors.  (Checking
one call after the contest to see where in NY he was, I learn that the call is
not in the FCC database.  Oh, well.)

I'm exhausted, again, but THAT WAS FUN!