[3830] CaQP W6PH SO HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6PH SO HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 00:19:55 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2021

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SO HP
QTH: Lone Pine, Inyo Coun

  160:    50    16
   80:   163    42
   40:   381   141
   20:   448   566
   15:   236   206
   10:
--------------------
Total:  1278   971  Mults = 58  Total Score = 335,008

Club: Bishop ARC

Comments:

SO1R  K3S Expert 1.3K  DXlog
160-80 1/4 wavw alopera
40  40-2CD
20  3 el monoband yagi
15  5 el monoBAND YAGI
All on temporary AB-577 masts

It was absolutely amazing the number of stations who answered CQ's.  On 20 and
15 meters SSB the majority had numbers under 10.  I took the time to explain the
exchange to many of the callers.  It was amazing how fast the multipliers called
in.  I had all 58 when VY1XY called me on 20 SSB at 1955z.  Lots of Dakota and
Nebraska stations were evident.  They go into hiding for Sweepstakes.  There was
a lot of fading on 15 meters when a station would fade into the grass before I
got an exchange.  Forty meters was pretty amazing working the east coast in the
early afternoon.  It almost seemed like 20 meters.  There was good participation
at the "rally times" on 160 and 80.

I had been off the air for about 18 months after a June VHF Contest ended up
being an FT8 fest instead of legacy modes.  I was thoroughly disgusted with
contesting after that.  N6WIN and N6MJ got me back by inviting me down to the
ND7K super station.  My antennas were all down.  I decided to try the CQP last
Monday and my neighbor kid helped me raise my masts.  I am approaching 80 years
and it is easier for a 17 year old to crank up the AB-577's.  The antennas were
all working with some minor adjustments which are easy with the AB-577's.
Everything worked fine and no malfunctions.  I can still do 24 hours BIC.

I am encouraged to get in Sweepstakes this year.

73, Kurt W6PH