[3830] 222Up K2DRH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 222Up K2DRH Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 12:55:25 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2021

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN41vr
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:  15
  2.3:   7
  3.4:   9
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:  93  Total Score = 94,074

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team:

Comments:

This has been a busy week what with the Perseids meteor shower and a few other
events so I forgot that I hadn’t posted here yet.  Tuesday, one year to the
day of the 100 MPH Derecho, we had a microburst from a Thunderstorm that took
out lots of trees and all the electric power in the area.  This time the top 2M
18XXX survived but the bottom one didn’t.  Broke in the same place so no
swapping parts, had to get a new one (thanks M2 for the fast service) again.
With my broken back and ribs still healing I can’t climb yet so waiting on the
“man”.

This is a slow contest but activity seemed pretty good and I had fun.  All the
stuff seemed to be working OK and microwave conditions seemed up for a change
(at least NE) so I made a lot of contacts on 2304 and 3456.  Pete K9PW/R was
really SSB loud on 3456 from all the grids he visited and gave me a 3770 point
QSO from EN55bc but the longest was Bob K2YAZ in EN70av at 4930 points.  K9JK/R
was out but that was about it (I think KC0P/R was out and in range but we never
hooked up).  I really miss the days from the old UHF contest when I could find
at least a dozen rovers to work in multiple on multiple bands.

222 and even 432 had a LOT of lighting crashes and noise to the north for most
of the contest.  Can’t remember ever seeing that much noise on 222 before.
FT8 was doable with the MSK144 Eu Contest protocols since you can do 6 digit
grids but not really prevalent and I only worked a few there on 222 and 432.
Since the Perseids were flying pretty well already I also did one Meteor scatter
QSO with N4SVC on 222 for 2844 points using that protocol, but the old FSK441
mode would have been WAY faster and more efficient.  I had it queued up and
ready but no takers (nor much other 222 Ms activity).

I’m low power on 222 and up by choice (never been enough QSOs per $$ out here
in the MW) and I realize there is technically no overall winner, just regional
winners and I most likely took that.  But I don’t play as hard as I used to in
this contest as I did with the old rules since I know I can’t ever be top dog
SOLP again (one time even beat out all the high power stations!).   But it’s
still fun to actually exercise the microwave gear that seems very underutilized
for most of the rest of the VHF contests these days.

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Pt/Q
   222  CW       1     986   986.0
   222  FT8      3    1742   580.7
   222  MSK1     1    2844  2844.0