[3830] WPX CW NE8P SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa8vms@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NE8P SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 01:26:16 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: NE8P
Operator(s): NE8P
Station: NE8P

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 21.4

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Overall, band conditions were decent here, although there was some crazy QSB at
times on 40 and 15 meters.  Nice to see 15 open to Europe Saturday well into the
evening.

More good news:  20/15/10 meter rotatable dipole works noticeably better than
the vertical back in the hammock.

Bad news:  Turns out my hi-tech, inverter driven heat pump compressor is a gross
RF emitter.  It really limited my ability to run on 20 and 15 in the afternoon
and evening.  My apologies to the dozens of stations calling that I simply could
not pull out of the QRN.  It was very frustrating for me as well!  Somehow, I
must address this for next contest season.

Had to QRT a couple hours early due to lightning in the area and attendant
horrible QRN.

Funny(?) issue I had with my new cable TV box:  Apparently, it's not well
designed for EMC.  When keying the rig with the amplifier output at 400 watts or
greater it appeared that someone (a ghost perhaps) was randomly operating the
box's remote control.  My wife couldn't watch the TV because it was always
changing to different menus and stations.  I had to cast the hockey game she
wanted to watch from my cell phone to the TV to continue operating.  Problem
resolved for the moment?  Yes and no.  I left the cable box on, and as it turned
out the phantom remote operator signed me up for a service upgrade!  I found out
because I got a text notification thanking me for the upgrade! What?? I
contacted our cable supplier and they told me the upgrade request was made in
the afternoon while I was operating 20 meters and nobody was watching TV!  Need
to address this prior to next contest season as well.  I'm looking forward to
discussing this with our cable supplier......not!

Anyway, I enjoyed the contest.  Thanks to all who participated.

Mike

TS-590SG, AL-82, 20/15/10 (Armstrong) rotatable dipole @ 30 feet, ground mounted
1/4 wave vertical (back in the hammock)