[3830] NCQP W4AN/M(@K4BAI/M) Mobile Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] NCQP W4AN/M(@K4BAI/M) Mobile Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 03:50:28 +0000
                    North Carolina QSO Party - 2021

Call: W4AN/M
Operator(s): K4BAI KU8E
Station: K4BAI/M

Class: Mobile Mixed LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 4:23

   80:  187     0       0
   40:  530     0       0
   20:   29     0       0
----------------------------
Total:  746     0       0  Mults = 60  Total Score = 134,150

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This is the rest of the story.  See the SCQP 3830 post for the beginning.  My
"new" 2017 Toyota Avalon ended the night after the SC QSO Party with a
shattered back window.  USAA (my insurance co), Safelite, and AAA were unable to
find anyone who could replace it on Sunday.  I spent a miserable night knowing
that we would be letting down people (e.g. W6OAT and N0KV among others) who
needed some rare counties that we had planned to cover.  I thought we would have
to sit around the hotel or have to rent a car and drive home, but didn't know
where I could safely leave my car.  Sunday morning we did reach a car glass
repairman who has promised to replace the window by noon or 1 PM Monday.
Jeff,KU8E,  broke the rest of the glass out of the back window.  We went to a
carwash and used a vacuum and got up most of the tiny pieces of glass.  We then
got a plastic painter's drop at Lowe's and taped it over the back window.  After
lunch, we went up into NC as far as we could and get back to our hotel where  we
are to meet the repiarman Monday.  Very sorry we didn't get to the rarer of the
counteis on our route.  I had thought we wouldn't operate at all, but Jeff
inisisted and I am glad we did.  It wasn't too noisy, it didn't rain, and we got
home before it got too cold.  So here are the results of operating almost half
of the contest all on CW.  20M was not very productive.  I assume it may have
been earlier.  We kept going to 20M in every county until about 2300Z when we
replaced the 20M resonator with the 80M resonator.  We could switch between 40
and 20 during the day and 40 and 80 at night instantaneously selecting the
desired band on the TS590.  Thanks for all the QSOs and in particular thanks for
those who persevered until the end when the Slow Speed Test QRM was intense on
40 and not quite so bad on 80M.  Might suggest starting an hour earlier next
year and finishing at 2359Z so there will be no conflict between the two
worthwhile activities.  Thanks to the organizers.  We worked K8MR in one county,
but missed hearing N4CW and K4QPL.  I hope they were QRV.  Special thanks to
Jeff, KU8E, chief engineer, main driver, and superb navigator.  73, John, K4BAI.