[3830] ARRLDX CW W5ZN SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W5ZN SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 15:04:25 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W5ZN
Operator(s): W5ZN
Station: W5ZN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Arkansas
Operating Time (hrs): 40
Radios: SO2R

  160:   57    23
   80:  381    45
   40:  636    67
   20:  927    75
   15:  107    34
   10:   14     6
-------------------
Total: 2122   250  Total Score = 1,591,500

Club: Arkansas DX Assn.

Comments:

It was an interesting week leading up to the contest. During winter here in
Arkansas we may have one snowfall of only around 4 inches max, then it is gone
in a day or two as our temperatures never stay below 32 degrees F. We have not
had snow here at W5ZN for the past three years. Late last week we received about
1 inch of sleet, the temperatures fell below 32 degrees and stayed there for 10
days until yesterday. On Monday of last week, we received 10 inches of snow
followed by another 10 inches on Wednesday. Very unusual WX for Arkansas.
Walking down RX antennas on Friday brought back fond memories of walking down
Beverages at W2GD for the CQWW 160 contest!

Friday evening band conditions on 160 and 80 meters were awful. My buddy N2CEI
noted conditions on 160 at his north Florida QTH were very good with lots of
stations on but very few were heard here and they were weak. Same for 80 meters
and not much activity although Saturday morning there were a good number of
JA’s on 80 meters but sigs were very weak. 40 meters was decent and on
Saturday 20 meters was loaded and wild with excellent activity.

Saturday evening 160 meters was pretty much dead although 80 meters to EU was
better although activity from previous years seemed was down. Sunday was very
good on 20 once again with some decent activity on 15 and 10 meters. It was good
to work my buddies Stan, ZF5T (K5GO) and John P44W (W2GD) on all the bands for
their nice warm, sunny locations!!!

The only equipment issue experienced during the weekend was on Sunday. The K3
displayed a keying error and N1MM was locked up. The only way I found to clear
it was to close N1MM and reload it. I’m not sure was the source of the error
was, possibly something I caused so I will investigate.

Equipment used for this contest:
2x Elecraft K3
Power Genius XL Amplifier by 4O3A
SO2R Mini
N1MM Logging Software

RX Antennas:
160 meter 8 Vertical BSEF Array
160 meter HiZ-8 Vertical Array
80 meter BSEF 8 Vertical Array
YCCC-9 Vertical Array
4 – Beverages NE, SE, W, NW

TX Antennas:
160 meter 5 element parasitic array
80 meter 4-Square
80 meter dipole at 135 ft
40 meter W6NL 2 element Moxon @ 135 ft
KT36XA @ 130 ft, JK Mid-Tri @ 85 ft, JK Mid-Tri @ 50 ft.

 Band    QSOs   Cty
  1.8      57    23
  3.5     381    45
    7     636    67
   14     927    75
   21     107    34
   28      14     6
 Total   2122    250

Score: 1,591,500

Thanks to everyone for the Q’s and mults. It was a good weekend on the radio!

73 Joel W5ZN