[3830] CQ160 CW K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs876@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 23:01:05 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia

Total:  QSOs = 1665  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 59  Total Score = 921,258

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

At the beginning of the competition, the EUs seemed all too happy to dance among
themselves for five pointers and they were not that loud anyway, so I
concentrated on rate.  The first several hours were brisk.

I think this is the first time I have gone 10 hours while keeping the cumulative
average above 100 per hour in this event.

I did manage to work 300 EUs by bedtime on Saturday morning.  At that point,
total Qs were 1,170 with 48 countries and 56 states/provinces.  My score was
517,608.  I had worked one JA and a ZL, which was cool.  I needed NE, WY, VO2
and ND.  There was no bothersome QRN the first night.

On Saturday afternoon and evening, I collected some Qs until EU was coming in
well and moved up the band to run EUs.  I stayed there for a long time.  It was
cool to work 5B4, 3V8, 9K2 and 4X4 within a short while of each other.  After
that decent run to the Northeast, I turned the antenna back toward the States
and was absolutely thrilled to get called by Nebraska and Wyoming back to back!
Free food!  Not long after this, I was coaxed to turn the antenna back toward
the Northeast and experienced a frenzied last-minute run of EU as the sun came
up across the Continent.  The QSB was instantaneous, like we were using meteor
skip or something.  Filling in call signs was like pulling teeth.  Once this
excitement was over, it was a long, slow grind toward sunrise on Sunday morning.
 Nothing exciting happened.

Final total was 531 EUs.  Missed ND and VO2.  I never worked many countries in
the Caribbean and Gulf rim that often show up, like maybe TI2, YV1, HC2, P40 and
others.  I did work PY and LU.  Never got a KL7 but worked a few KH6.

Thanks for all the QSOs.  Looking forward to getting back to the XYL.

73,

Peter  K3ZM