[3830] NAQP SSB WX3B Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB WX3B Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 05:50:18 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Maryland

  160:   47    21
   80:  233    35
   40:  497    45
   20:  311    39
   15:   33    15
   10:   15     5
-------------------
Total: 1136   161  Total Score = 182,896

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC SO2R Team #1

Comments:

This may have been my first ever semi-competitive attempt in the single-op
unassisted category of NAQP SSB and I have to say, it was a LOT more fun than I
thought it was going to be.  I am not used to having to "hunt" for
multipliers the old fashioned way, and I enjoyed it.

I started off as planned on 10 meters, and even though there was hope for an
opening, I worked only locals, until much later in the day, when Marty, NN1C
asked me to move to 10 for him.  I thought he was crazy, but somehow we heard
each other.  Did you see Marty's score???  It was fascinating watching him and
old man N6MJ at ND7K on the scoreboard!!

15 meters wasn't much more fun than 10, and I quickly abandoned it but kept an
eye on the band scope.  I don't think the band scope ever showed much hope, so I
feel like I didn't miss much there.

Onto 20 meters, and somehow I could never quite get the run going as well as I
expected to.  I jumped over to 40 to work all those close in multipliers I knew
wouldn't be available later in the night, only to find a lack-luster band and of
course the band was absolutely stellar to all those places at night.  In this
case, I should have toughed it out on 20 for another hour or so - 40 was great
most of the night.

Went to 80 rather early and tried to go back to 20, but 20 was sounding washed
out and had mostly west coast stations running, but nobody from the east coast
was doing much.

Took my first break at about 5:00pm and had dinner.

Got back on 40 meters and I was off to the races with the best run of the
contest.  Bounced around from 40 to 80 to 160 a bit, staying mostly on 40.
started passing some easy multipliers to myself on 160.

Ran out of time a bit early due to having so much fun on 40 and not taking time
off.

I would like to congratulate Connor, W4IPC, who volunteered for a PVRC hard core
SO2R team and turned in an excellent score - it looked for awhile like I was
going to pass that young man, but I ran out of gas, then I ran out of time.  Lar
K7SV maintained a comfortable lead over me for most of the event Can't wait my
other team-mate's results, I'm expecting big things from K4ZW and K3MM.

I have a lot to learn about competitive single-operator contesting, but this was
a great way to get my feet wet.  I'm hoping our August NAQP I will be back in
business operating in the M/2 category again.

Happy new year to all.

73,

Jim  WX3B