[3830] TBDC K9ZO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K9ZO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 16:29:46 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: il

Total:  QSOs = 623  Total Score = 2,482

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Adjusted score is at https://www.kkn.net/stew/STEWSCR.TXT  12/29 15:51 is 3250
for #6.

K9ZO         S L   632    9   13   610  3250  210   1053 US1Q         8989    24
  30  173  836    0   103   0   0   3 605   1   0

Started at 2200Z (4pm).  There were signals earlier, but not many, and not
strong.  Pretty good run the first couple hours, but not great, and never could
catch up. My rate was way down from Craig and Mike. Check K9CT and W9RE on RBN.
I think the first couple hours you must be extremely strong to get a great rate.
I was fairly competitive to K9IMM and close in midwest receivers.  W9RE was best
to east coast.  I did pretty well to W7 which I noticed, because I worked quite
a few out that way. However, my rate through the normal hours was still a bit
down from the other guys.

I was not able to hear Europe and could not raise the few I heard. These points
really hurt. My antennas were an inverted vee at about 70 feet and SAL 30.  I
was not able to get a tower crew to put up a pulley on the tower to convert the
80 meter wire up the tree to an inverted L, and the beverages were not finished.
 I don't think the receive mattered too much since I was not particularly strong
on transmit. I only gave up on a few that I could not hear.

My break was an hour from 0700Z - 0800Z which was about perfect.  I stopped at
1300Z (7am) which was about perfect.  Rate was terrible and only a few new ones
showed up in the morning.  For a stronger station a break from 0700- 0900Z was
good because in the morning they could search the band and get guys in addition
to calling CQ and activity was sparse enough that few would have been lost.

If I can make improvements, this would be a good contest to try again, otherwise
it is not worth it to get on because the score would essentially be the same.