[3830] ARRL 10 K1HTV SO Mixed Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1htv@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K1HTV SO Mixed Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:17:54 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 19:55

   CW:  305    74
  SSB:  195    52
-------------------
Total:  500   126  Total Score = 202,860

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was fighting a virus, operating with a bad sore throat and feeling rather
poorly for all of the contest. That limited my BIC time by about 10 hours. The
K3 has 8 voice memories which really helped save my sore throat. At the start of
the contest there was some pretty good Es propagation, mostly from the NW
direction. For a brief time round 02Z we had some shorter skip and a number of
KY and TN stations were worked. I also noticed that stations from the southern
States were all strongest with the beam NW. The only DX worked Friday evening
were three XE stations.

Still feeling pretty rotten, I got back to the shack Saturday morning around 14Z
in time to work 9Y, ZF, TI, HP, YV,CO,HK,PJ4 in that first hour. By 15Z a number
of SA stations in LU,YV,CX,CE,OA,PY plus J7,KP2, KP4 and more XE stations were
worked. 17 to 18Z Saturday produced many dozens of PY and LU stations. Shortly
after 19Z I worked the first of two KH6 stations. No European or African
stations were hear Saturday. By 19:45 the virus had me pretty beat, so I called
it quits.

I got back on the air Sunday morning around 13Z and found the band full of U.S
stations in all directions, many coming in via meteor scatter. By 15Z the band
finally opened to the east. In the next hour plus, ZS, V5, D4 and ZD7 stations
were worked on SSB as well as F, EI, DL and V5 on CW. Around 1630Z, 10M opened
again to SA and Central America. I worked a second ZD7 as the band as the SA
stations seemed to disappear and stations in W6 and W7 land started to appear.
Around 20Z the band opened briefly to the northeast in time to work a number of
stations in New England and the Canadian Maritime provinces. At 20:15 the second
KH6 station made it into the K1HTV log. Around 21:30Z a number of weaker SA
stations popped in but were difficult to work. I called it quits about 90
minutes before the end of the contest and crashed. The bug had me beat again.

For the contest I used a Hygain A3S triband yagi at 80 feet on the house
bracketed tower and a Hygain 5 element 105BAS at 90 feet on the new, rotating
Rohn #55 tower in the back yard. Having the capability of easily switching
between antennas in two different directions sure was nice. Eventually 115BAS
and 205BAS yagis as well as three 7el 6M yagis with a Stack Match will be added
to the tower, but probably not until the Spring.

Even with a virus, I found the ARRL 10M Contest with an SFI in the low 80's to
be loads of fun.
73,
Rich - K1HTV