[3830] ARRL 160 K1KA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ka@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K1KA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 01:37:57 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: K1KA
Operator(s): K1KA
Station: K1KA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 477  Sections = 75  Countries = 24  Total Score = 102,762

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Activity seemed good but propagation was lacking. I had recently installed a new
Inverted L to supplement my Double L which had some limitations to the south and
in its angle of radiation. I had conducted some A - B testing over the previous
month and the Inv L had a significant edge. During the contest however, I barely
beat last year’s score.
I was S&P the whole time and on Friday night I was quickly working the load
signals. Noise was high but I was convinced the EU DX would show up soon. After
several hours I had only worked a few and that was tough. My beverage was able
to hear them fairly well, but NA QRM was typically on top, since NA stations
probably were not hearing the DX.
Well for sure the west coast would be coming in soon. Right? Wrong. Noise was
high and the coast was weak. I’m usually able to mostly complete CA sections
Friday night, but I only worked half of them by the end of contest. No HI or AK.
Heard the NT station for about 5 seconds, but no way I had a chance.
On Saturday, the snow and later the wind started. More noise and weak signals
and the SWR on the antenna began to fluctuate rapidly, tripping the amp
frequently. After, trying to deal with this I ended up just reducing the power
for the duration to keep the amp happy.
In the end I had 60 more Qs than last year but only 2/3 the DX total. Hope
conditions are better in the Stew and CQ 160.
Thanks for the Qs.
73 Dave K1KA
K3S, SPE 1.3K-FA, Inverted L 80 ft. vertical with 16 radials. Double L. 70 Ft.
at peak.Northeast Beverage 500 ft.