[3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 20:37:01 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Maryland

Total:  QSOs = 316  Sections = 47  Countries = 2  Total Score = 31,262

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Just 4.5 hours Saturday night and a half hour Sunday morning.  I had spent
Friday night and Saturday afternoon catching up on sleep, and this contest
wasn't exciting enough to start a new week already wiped out.

When I turned on the radio Saturday night the band was VERY quiet; I could hear
only a few signals.  I tried calling a couple of big guns; nothing.  I tired a
CQ; nothing.  I started writing an email to the PVRC Reflector: "Is the
band dead, or is my antenna dead?"  Before sending the email, I looked out
the back door of the shack and verified that the feed line was hanging properly,
so the antenna was in the air.  I came back to the desk to send the email, and I
had a thought: check the homebrew control panel.  Oh.  It's set to dummy load.
Switch back to antenna, and we're off to the races.  The band is quiet.  S&P
one QSO, find a little hole, call CQ, and it's Fresh Meat time!

My Saturday night starts in this Contest give me my highest run rates.  This
year I had 126 QSOs in the first 62 minutes, probably my best ever.  After that
things slowed down a lot.

So who did I work?  PVRC, FRC, MRRC, SOMC, and tons of others from IL to MAR to
NC.  Michigan seemed extra plentiful this year.  But beyond 1,000 miles or so,
very little -- two VE6's (good ears!), SD, a few MN, a couple of MO.  No TX nor
CO nor CA nor AZ nor WA.  Only the Boring club station for OR (good ears!!). Of
course, no DX except ZF and NP2.  Lots of CQ in my face from Sections I needed.
Not even a QRZ from the few audible CQers out west. Another good reason to QRT
and go to sleep.

(I did have some problems with callers missing their "first dit".
I'll post about that on CQ-Contest.)

What fun!  Let's do it again next year.

73, Art K3KU