[3830] NAQP SSB K6RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lashap@cox.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K6RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 02:57:37 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K6RO
Operator(s): K6RO
Station: K6RO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:55

  160:    1     1
   80:    6     3
   40:  123    31
   20:  327    52
   15:    4     3
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  463    91  Total Score = 42,133

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

The contest started at 1800z,so I got on about 1700z to see how the bands
were..I heard nothing on 10 and 15,and when I listened to 20m,it was wall to
wall stations that were very loud. I thought I was going to park on 20m and run
stations for hours,but about 17:45z,the band got quiet,and most of the loud
stations were gone. What a disappointment .I started on 20m,and had a decent run
for about 20 minutes,and then the band died...I just heard weak stations.I
started to S and P to get some q's in the log,but it was slow.
I took my first break at 19:26z ..that was sad to take a break on 20m so early
in the contest.
I hoped that after a 30 minute break,maybe life would come back to 20m.
I just kept plugging away on 20m until 02:35z. I took another 30 minute break
for dinner,before I took a shot at 40m.
I had some decent runs on 20 during prime time of 18,70,20,34, and 64 q's.
My best rate was 64 q's/64.2hr.
I started on 40m at 03:13,and banged off 85 q's / 96.7 hr. Not a lot of
mults..lots of CA.CO,NV and other close by states.
I tried 80m a few times,but most stations that I called didn't hear me..so back
to 40m till the end of the contest.
I tried 10 and 15m many times,but either nothing heard,or listened to weak  east
coast stations working other east coast...

As soon as this contest was over,I pulled up JK Antenna's website,and started
looking for antennas with more gain on 20 and 40m.
It is so frustrating trying to do contests with a 2 element 20m beam,and a
dipole on 40m.
I want at least 4 el on 20,and 2 on 40.
Fighting with city hall now just to keep what I have..long story.
Thanks for all the q's,and I will keep plugging away until I can get better
antennas,or find a place to operate with a better setup.
Thanks to N6RV for 6 bands.

K3S
JK Navassa at 37 feet.
JK 40M dipole at 41 feet.