[3830] IARU K3MTR(@N3DPB) SOAB(A)Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cq.k3mtr@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K3MTR(@N3DPB) SOAB(A)Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 02:09:46 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: K3MTR
Operator(s): K3MTR
Station: N3DPB

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed LP
QTH: Severn, MD

  160:    7      0      2       0
   80:   26      0      7       2
   40:  164     20     23      23
   20:   64     33     23      21
-------------------------------------
Total:  261     53     55      46  Total Score = 86,052

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was one of the rare occasions where I participated in a contest on my own
as SO. Those of you familiar with my home "station" may be confused
that I was able to pull off more than a double-digit score -- alas, I cannot yet
share the good news of a big station upgrade for myself: I had the good fortune
of borrowing the N3DPB and WA3EKL station for this contest (many thanks for them
letting me use it! I tried not to break anything ... tried). According to N1MM,
I only got 10 hours BIC. I mixed up the dates, thinking the NAQP RTTY was this
weekend, and I only realized that not to be the case about 30 minutes before
2PM. So, I dilly-dallied around and was going to forego any contesting and
instead just leisurely operate on the bands later in the evening, but I quickly
realized that wouldn't be easy since everyone else was in the contest!
Nevertheless, it was very fun. And it gave me an opportunity to hopefully log a
few more countries in the log book (as well as that elusive Rhode Island that's
keeping me from WAS... one of these days I'll get a QSL from those folks... one
day). I got my start doing phone, but I didn't have the macros set up. Longing
for CW, I switched to that and found plenty of stations abound that could hear
me well (sans an amplifier), so that's where I did most of my operating. It was
mostly S&P; I found an opening once to run, but it turns out it was in the
middle of the FT4 subband on 40m, so I got an ear-full of ... well, whatever it
is FT4 sounds like. So I abandoned that idea and went back to S&P since the
band was otherwise crowded. One of these days I'm going to try and force myself
to do nothing but run; I usually have to kick myself to get into a "running
mood", but it always seems OK once I get over that first hump.

I wish I had started earlier in the contest. Ah well. Next time!

Many thanks for all the Qs, and extra thanks for everyone's patience!!

TU es 73 de K3MTR at the N3DBP and WA3EKL station