[3830] ARRL FD AI6DO 2E QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ai6do@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD AI6DO 2E QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:22:38 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   45     14      3  Total Score = 1,000

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

First contest since last year's Field Day and it shows. Score and number of QSOs
both only about 60% of last year's. In lieu of my usual solo portable 2B1B
operation on Sunday morning, I chose to do something different and lazier by
operating class 2E QRP very sporadically throughout the weekend; all S&P, at
least according to the Reverse Beacon Network. Heard a lot of fading on every
band. 20 meters has usually been my money band for Field Day, but was nearly
devoid of copyable signals (other than FT8) all weekend. Made a few FT8 contacts
just to verify I was actually getting out on 20 meters. Only heard one op on 15
meters all weekend, who lives a couple of miles away and was S9+ on both 15 and
20 meters. I stuck around just long enough to make 1000 points before throwing
in the towel.

KX3 and PX3 with an inverted-vee fan dipole for 20M, 40M, and 80M at 23 feet.
FT-818 connected to a horizontal 2m/70cm Elk antenna and vertical 70cm Yagi in
the attic on a rotator, but just left pointed to the northeast. Started using a
TH-D72A HT with a half-wave 2 meter whip for FM, but it turned out to be much
easier to make 2m FM contacts using the Elk, and even made one QSO off the side
of the Elk despite being 90 degrees off polarization. Everything 5W and running
on LiFePO or LiIon batteries.

No satellite passes attempted this year due to lack of 100 pt bonus for home
stations and bad memories of the chaos on the birds last year. Got the alternate
power bonus using one of my 50W "portable" solar panels, which weighs
as nearly much as my entire Field Day portable setup last year. Was pleasantly
surprised that my Morse skills hadn't deteriorated noticeably over the past year
of neglect, and I was able to copy the complete Field Day bulletin transmitted
by K9JM on CW by hand in real time. Thanks to K9JM for transmitting the bulletin
for K6KPH, as I was unable to copy much of the bulletin transmitted by W1AW.

73, Ryan AI6DO