[3830] ARRL June VHF K7QA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K7QA@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K7QA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 05:39:00 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: K7QA
Operator(s): K7QA
Station: K7QA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MT DN26
Operating Time (hrs): 2+

    6:  41     26
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  41     26  Total Score = 1,066

Club: BigSky

Comments:

My first adventure into the Magic Band since 1961. Back then, all we had was CW
and AM. I used a home brew rx converter/preamp and HQ-129X for receiving with
all home brew transmitting gear using a 6CL6-6146 exciter driving a P-P 6DQ6 amp
plus a converted Bogen juke box amp with P-P 6L6's and a mod xfmr for AM.
The antenna was a 3 ele yagi with tinfoil wrapped bamboo pole elements at 15
feet strapped to a clothes line pole. Worked lots of E skip all around the SW
from MT.

My how the band has changed. Decided to give FT8 a test drive since my buddy
Lance W7GJ and world class VHFer told me 95% of all activity on 6m is digital. I
hung a 5 ele yagi (this time using aluminum tubing) on a chimney mount at 35 ft
and fired up the IC7610 with the PC running WSJT-X and N1MM integration. I must
say it was a different kind of fun compared to most contests we run. Patience is
a virtue and a must for this mode on this band.

Only had a few hours to play but found a CA Es opening on Saturday and a few
good midwest openings Sunday. Surprised to work a few east coasters too. We'll
try it again next time. As the Happenings say, See You in September.