[3830] ARRL June VHF N1RM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rick@milr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N1RM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 20:26:18 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: N1RM
Operator(s): N1RM
Station: N1RM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Great Falls, VA

    6:  133    54
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  133    54  Total Score = 7,182

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Ok. That was LOTS more fun than I expected. The OCF HF dipole is resonant on 6
meters. I ran 500W with no tuner - nice treat. Many firsts for me: first VHF
contest, first time on 6M, first time using KPA500, first time using FT8 with
N1MM+, first 6M European QSO (on SSB, no less!).

It all seemed so laid back after CQWPX.  I started on FT8 since I saw very
little on CW or SSB. It took me three busted Qs before I finally figured out how
get the QSO to the N1MM log. I didn't notice the WSJT-X log entry window that
had popped up and was waiting for me to approve the first QSO. Figured that out
and operation was smooth but really boring. Then I took a look at the band scope
lower in the band and there was activity heating up on CW. Worked lots of Qs and
even ran 'em for a while with my crappy antenna. That was more like it! Then I
noticed lots of phone activity so switched to SSB and made a few Qs there,
including G8BCG who was booming in.

After getting a few hours sleep, church, and breakfast, I got back to it and
worked many Midwest stations who popped up mid-day. It seemed like whenever
activity got low, or I had milked a mode dry, the band "reinvented
itself" into something completely different - so cool!

I should have my beam up in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure it will make a
difference on 6M, but I don't think it could be much more fun than this contest
of "firsts" for me.

Thanks to all the stations that I was able to work because ONE of us had a
decent antenna :).

K3S, KPA500, Array Solutions OCF dipole at 35 feet.

Rick
N1RM