[3830] King of Spain CW WB8WKQ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] King of Spain CW WB8WKQ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 15:35:55 +0000
                    His Maj. King of Spain Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   11    10
   40:   77    37
   20:   94    50
Total:  183    97  Total Score = 25,996

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

What a perfect contest to participate in, during what I consider, to be an
"off weekend" of contesting.  This is obviously a European based
contest, which is just fine.  No North American station is going to win a
plaque, but it's a great way to test out antennas and see how you're propagating
across the pond. My mental competition, was to compete with myself and what I
did in 2018, which was 97 Q's and 62 mults.  Well, I nearly doubled the Q's and
had a 50% increase in mults.  Was it better conditions?  Was it more "butt
in the seat" time?  I don't know, but would suspect it was the latter.  Not
that I was stressed and working this contest non-stop.  Took a two hour walk in
beautiful spring weather here in Michigan, cut the grass, grilled out, took an
hour nap, etc.  So again, a perfect contest for one to compete against oneself
and to check out antennas.  Conditions on 20 were fine, Europe was booming in.
I did a lot better on 40 this year with 77 Q's compared to only  16 a few years
ago.  80M was a funny story.  I looked at my log from a couple years ago, and
saw that I didn't even try 80M.  Well, I thought why not at least pick up a USA
mult on that band?  So when I went over to 80M, I struggled to find any US
stations!  But wound up working several Spain stations and Euros.  Not bad
working across the pond on 80M in the middle of May. I did finally find one USA
station for the mult, but wound up with 11 Q's and 10 mults, which really helped
beat my score from a few years ago.  I listened early on Saturday to 15M briefly
and didn't hear any activity and didn't check 160 at all.  I'm sure this score
is inflated, because the only "pet peeve" I have about this contest,
is, there is another "Euro" contest going on at the same time, the UN
DX contest which has the exact exchange.  Hence, it's difficult to determine
which contest you are working.  Overall, I had a blast with the feeling of no
pressure and enjoyed each and every Q.  I also got a "warm fuzzy" that
all the antennas here are making it across the pond.  Thanks to all for all the
Q's and the "lockdown" fun!