[3830] 50SprngSprnt KR1ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex@kr1st.com
Subject: [3830] 50SprngSprnt KR1ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 16:56:07 +0000
                    50 MHz Spring Sprint - 2020

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN21

Total:  QSOs = 69  Mults = 27  Total Score = 1,863

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: IC-7300/Gemini HF-1k
Pwr: 900W
Ant: M2 6M3 @ 32ft
Ele: 1900+ft

This was a most enjoyable Sprint. I spent all but the last 45 minutes of the
sprint on SSB. When the band is open, I prefer to hear voices and have a short
chat here and there. For me the openings were laser sharp to certain grids at a
time. I was very surprised there was not more activity on SSB as beacons popped
in and out constantly and even some stations from EM60 and EM66 were constantly
present on the bandscope, indicating that the band was in good shape for a
Saturday evening in May. I guess FT8 drained a lot of activity, which is a
shame.

I never worked so many folks in my own grid before. I had several nice
conversations, even a few with people who tried 6m for the first time. It was
also nice to chat with some folks who didn't get to see in person because of all
the cancelled events.

My only CW contact was with Peter, WW2Y, who had his antenna inside on a table.
As the band-mode break down below shows, I was indeed very late to the FT8 game
and worked only 2 new grids there (one from fellow 'Rat Rick, K1DS, and K1WHS in
FN43). Of the 18 FT8 QSO's, 9 were were with folks who I easily worked on SSB in
the past. I guess I have to go to FT8 now to even find my neighbors.

We need separate MGM (Machine Generated Mode) contests on VHF.

Thanks to the SVHFS for organizing this event! Now on to taking down my antennas
and hopefully have them back up before the June contest.

73,
--Alex KR1ST

Band/Mode break down:

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Grd