[3830] 222SprngSprnt N0URW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 222SprngSprnt N0URW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 02:33:52 +0000
                    222 MHz Spring Sprint - 2020

Call: N0URW
Operator(s): N0URW
Station: N0URW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EN41
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

Band conditions started out very poor...
 Noise in all direction.. I looked outside just after the start to make sure my
antenna was pointing the direction the controller said it was. To my surprise,,,
it was Snowing !!!! So much noise it was making it hard to hear  so I
went to FT8, Much gooder. At least I do not need head phones for FT8.
Contacts started going in the log. Tried SSB from time to time, Still lots of
noise in the direction I'm use to hearing the most contacts. I think there is a
lot of guys that have not fixed their antennas from the big Ice storm in
January. I hope they do and don't just say the heck with 222. I realize most
don't have big power on 222. So it makes it a lot harder to make those 400 mile
contacts through the noise. Nice to get a SSB contact from here in Iowa To
Michigan. Big signal from WW8M coming in here. Wish everyone sounded that good.
The band conditions got a lot better as the night went on, but fewer stations
stuck it out and pulled the plug early. The noise all went away just after 10PM
when it stopped snowing. Go figure. By 10:30 there wasn't anyone left to make
contacts with.. With all the noise , My goal was to somehow make 20 contacts.
I was surprised to see I made 23. That's only 4 less than I get in the June ARRL
VHF contest.
My set up this time was a Icom 7300, DEM High power transverter, 1 Kw tube amp,
1-15 element home brew antenna.  I plan to be on for the 432 Sprint next week.
So look my way. Until we meet again, Stay Safe :)
de N0URW EN41go Iowa