[3830] SS CW K9ZO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K9ZO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 15:40:43 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Illinois
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I spent much of the week prior to the contest in bed.  Too much exercise at the
gym.  Knee lubrications. Toe infection. Lots of pain and could not walk.
 My wife drove me out to the shack a bit before SS started and drove me to the
base of the 80 meter vertical wire so I could take off about 3 feet and get it
to resonate better on SSB.

All the hard mults came easily in the beginning.  VY1AAA was my first QSO, but
it took 10 minutes to get through.  That is much better than tuning a band
looking for him and only getting a handful on new guys.  WTX, PAC, NE, MAR, and
all of New England came quickly, but the first hour was dismal. The SteppIR only
worked for one band change.  It’s an unreliable antenna!  On Sunday morning I
went to 20M to find KP4, SF, and ONN and the antenna never worked after that.  I
only worked a couple W6 until their sunset on Saturday, then I got reports of 20
over on 75M.  The vertical wire was working well.

I had to take an extra 2 hours 20 minutes off time for naps and this really cost
me a lot of places in the standings.  I sounded pretty hoarse during the whole
thing, but it was worth it.