[3830] WAE CW N1LN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N1LN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:00:45 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:   51    35    80
   40:  200   236   108
   20:  478   456    94
   15:   48    50    54
   10:    2     0     4
-------------------------
Total:  779   777   340  Total Score = 529,040

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I always enjoy the WAE CW contest and this one did not leave me disappointed.
The conditions could have been better but the EU participation was right up
there!

I am sure that I left several mults on the table due to my early evening (or
morning) shutdown times.  Night 1 I shutdown at 0200 UTC and night 2 shutdown
was at 0300 UTC.  You can see that from my low 40 and 80 mult and Q totals .
The QRN was just too high here and my head was pounding when the OFF switch was
pulled.   Night 2 was the quietest of the two so I tried some running on 80.  I
could hear many stations calling me but could not pull them through the noise
and I was even running only beverage RX antennas.  The phased verticals made it
much worse.  Sorry to those calling that did not get in my log.  The situation
improved after a QSY to 40.

Additionally, I tried to actually run SO2R but as I am not the greatest of two
radio ops, the QTC requests really slammed me.  I enjoy passing out the QTCs so
I quickly relegated radio 2 to check for openings and working the occasional
mult spot.

One surprising note is the number of QTC requests I had from stations that I had
already passed the maximum number of 10.  The first such request made me think
N1MM was acting up as I could not bring up the QTC window.  Well – N1MM saved
me as it worked perfectly and followed the contest rules.

I do have one suggestion for operators of future contests where the exchange
includes serial numbers.  In my opinion, and based on being involved in traffic
passing for Emergency Communications, one should keep the traffic passed to a
minimum and only pass what is actually required.   For serial numbers that
suggests that 3 character serial numbers are not needed unless and until each
digit is meaningful.   Translated, eliminate the leading ZEROS.  Not only does
it take longer even if cut numbers are not used, but if the sending station is
weak it is often difficult to determine if the leading ZERO could be some other
digit.  Typically a 1.  I had to ask for several repeats as a result of the 3
digit SN that only needed to be 2 or sometimes 1 digit.

All said – thanks to all that participated and for the organizers for another
outstanding event.

73,
Bruce N1LN