[3830] WPX CW ON3DI SOSB40 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, on3di@uba.be
Subject: [3830] WPX CW ON3DI SOSB40 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 14:12:07 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SOSB40 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 30:35

Hi

After some years 80m QRP during WPX and WW RTTY and CW contests, it was time for
something else. I had the fun to win several contests, 80m will always be
special to me, it gave me the believe that I can win big contests! Anyway lost
some contests, so it was time for something new. The best antenna that I have is
for 40m, the choice was simple then. I would try it on this band, again QRP.
Like always goal number one is the Belgian record...

Weeks/months before the contest I tried to increase my cw speed, I practised a
lot around 26-30wpm, better then my speed during the cq ww cw but for the big
guns not enough. But it shows that I was dedicated.
I started the contest by doing S&P and I must say I've done it a lot, Always
from up to down and try to work everybody.First QSO was already DX, UP4L, nice!
Quit soon I worked my first USA stations, NW7R was incredible loud! The hardest
qso was perhaps with KF3DI, I really wanted him in my log because of the suffix,
and yes we managed!
The rates were ok, the first 8-9hours I had an average of 25QSO/hour and some
really nice one TI7W, CN2CO, VB3E, worked even Arizona...
It was long time ago that I managed to stay awake until 10u30 local time, that's
8u30 utc, thanks to the adrenaline!
Then I slept some hours and was back qrv at 15utc, it was slow then but I
dreamed about eastern DX, heard some nice stations, JT5DX, VK6LW but I couldn't
work them. Time after time the rates were coming back and around midnight the
party started! I worked USA, VE, caribbean, YW1K, PY and… CE2LR come into my
log, very nice qso with 5w! And for a first time in ages, I worked a new
country, HC2AO was the lucky one! I was so happy, my score went from 100k to
400k! I had it hard to stay awake already from 1utc, but I survived until 6utc.

Then I had to vote, big elections in Belgium and you have to vote, you can't say
that you don't want to. After that I was again QRV around 15utc, the pattern,
slow again but again some special QSO's, worked JT5DX, P40X came back to my cq
and at the end of the contest the band was again open to USA and VE, lovely,
last three qso's were again DX!

80m you can be happy, this was so different on 40m. So contesting on 80m is
harder, more a Europe contest, without big trills!
-Worked 12 VE (that is a lot for me), 67 K were in my log. 110 qso's were DX,
that 1/5, happy about that!
-Top three countries: 1. K with 67 2. DL 57 and 3. UR 28
-It was harder to work Russia this contest, expected more Qso's.
-Think my ON3 prefix was for the most a multiplier, an advantage for my qrp
station!
-Normally my amount of qso's is good but I worked to less dx, now I had a lot of
6 pointers with the result that my score will come in the all time top 10.
-With this score and dedication, like always I can only be happy with a victory,
but if someone beats me, I will have to respect that. The advantage is that I
can still improve, my cw speed must be higher for the cq ww. Anyway that Belgian
record will be mine!

Thanks for all the qso's and the patience!
Had so much fun!

Setup:
N1MM+, 5w, vertical, ft897

Pieter ON3DI