[3830] GaQP W4AN(@K4BAI/M) Rover Multi-OpCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] GaQP W4AN(@K4BAI/M) Rover Multi-OpCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 02:08:03 +0000
                    Georgia QSO Party - 2019

Call: W4AN
Operator(s): KU8E K4BAI
Station: K4BAI/M

Class: Rover Multi-OpCW LP
QTH: GA

  160:       0      0
   80:       0      0
   40:    1504      0
   20:     200      0
   15:       0      0
   10:       0      0
    6:       0      0
------------------------
Total:    1704      0  CW-Dig Mults = 47  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 160,176

Club: Columbus Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

The week before GQP, Jeff, KU8E, moved the antenna wiring for mobile operations
from my 1997 Buick and installed them in my 2017 Toyota Avalon.  Our plan was to
used my TS590SG and Hustler whips to go to most of the GA counties that others
had not promised to cover.  We used two mag mounts and planned to be QRV on 40
and 20M during the day and 40 and 80M at night.  We took a 15M Hustler
resonator, but didn't expect that band to be open.  Unfortunately, one of the
mag mounts was intermittent and we made only about 25 QSOs on 20M the first day
and no QSOs on 80M.  After a few hours on the air Sunday morning, the mag mount
went from intermittent to not working.  Fortunately, we had a spart mag mount.
Took a while to make the change, but, after the change, things were just as we
had planned.

When we were on 20M Saturday, the band seemed very poor.  Sunday, the band was
much better, but activity on 20M seemed low and skip was often fairly long.
However, sometimes it shorter and we were able to work VA and FL.  We got
through 43 counties (not including Crawford County where we went through a
corner on the interstate, but had no time to make QSOs).

We worked a number of DX stations, notably F4FPR, DL3DXX, DL8USA, DK2OY, OK1CF,
LY5W, N4XU/KP3.  I think we missed these states:  NM, HI, WY, AK, OR, ND, and
SD.  In Canada we worked VE9AA, VE2, VE3, and VE7.  Thanks to all who turned out
for GQP.  Be sure to upload your logs, no matter how small, to the webpage shown
on the GQP webpage.

We also had some RFI prolems that caused the computer to crash and it took a
long time to reboot.  We finally stopped trying to have computer control of the
frequency and mode, but continued with CW keying from the computer.  We also had
a Begali paddle so supplement the computer keying.  Used N1MM+ which performed
flawlessly.

It was great to swap off operating and driving with Jeff, KU8E, again.  He is
not only a great operator, but a good technician who can repair almost
anything.

Looking forward to next year already.  QSL requests go to me:  John Laney, PO
Box 421, Columbus, GA  31902-0421.  Stations outside the continental USA may
request bureau QSL cards via e-mail to k4bai@att.net.

73, John, K4BAI.