[3830] WPX SSB NX5M SOSB80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NX5M SOSB80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 06:12:46 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M
Station: NX5M

Class: SOSB80 HP
QTH: TX

Had intentions of doing multi-multi but just too many conflicts and weather was
potentially going to be an issue on Saturday that would force a shut down.
Late Saturday morning I decided to work on the 80m antenna system since all I
had up was a single antenna.  The process of the day started with me getting the
2nd antenna going but still had a lot to do.  Had no switching for the 80m
antenna set and was somewhat driven to get it done.  So I pulled out the old
homebrew 80m controller and the old homebrew 80m phasing/relay box and did a bit
of refurbishing on them.  Luckily I had put in extra control cable to the 20/80m
tower so that was at least 140 feet of cable I did not have to deal with.
However, it terminated behind the shack and at the base of the tower so I had to
make extra cable lengths and disconnects on the tower side so I had to map out
the color coding before I could attempt an install.  Oh, but wait, I do not have
any phasing lines for this so I had to go pull out some RG11 and measure it, cut
it and install connectors.  It was about this time that a strong spring cold
front blew in and the winds were quite cold and gusty so I did what any poor man
would so and I sat down inside and removed old connectors from when I tore my
last station down, cleaned them up and used them on the phasing lines.  I then
walked out to the tower, put the phasing box in the tower housing and plugged it
in.  I heard a click so I have power on at least one relay.  I then came back
and grabbed the 50 and 75 ohm phasing lines and connected them.  Next....check
to see if I got it all wired correctly and see if I accomplished a good match
for all antenna combinations (single and/or dual).  Well, the power was going
where it was supposed to so the box was working.  A check of the SWR on all
antenna combinations and single antennas turned out to be spot on perfect around
3700khz, my target.
Turned on a computer and a radio, plugged the proper coax into the patch panel
and made a few qsos running 100w.  As time went by I decided I needed to test
this with more than 100w so I fired up an amp and gradually went from 300w to
1400w.....nothing failed.  Next I decided I needed to have the receive antenna
system turned on so I got that going and spent the better part of 2 hours
calling CQ.
Band was quiet and QSB was sometimes a problem but I decided to set a goal of
300 qsos before 0600z OR 100k points before 0600z.  I hit 100k points at 0539z
and 300 qsos at 0540z.  Announced I was going QRT and heading to bed but got
held up for a few more minutes with additional callers.
Now............I go to bed.