[3830] ARRLDX SSB W2RE(@W1/EASTPORT) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2re@remotehamradio.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W2RE(@W1/EASTPORT) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 13:25:28 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W2RE
Operator(s): W2RE
Station: W1/EASTPORT

Class: SOAB HP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted One-Transmitter HP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

  160:   76    46
   80:  306    68
   40:  539    82
   20: 1353    98
   15:   40    23
Total: 2314   317  Total Score = 2,200,614

Thanks to the ARRL and the participants! No matter how bad the conditions may
be, its still a fun event!

It was hard to sit in the chair for 40+ hours in this one but I was determined
to give this one everything I had! One day I might best VY2ZM and VE3EJ in this
one!

The best operators will always win CW! However, on SSB you need to be one of the
loudest to have any success! This weekend was about being loud!

My operation was remote using the RemoteHamRadio station in Eastport Maine which
sits on the coast of Maine. The advantage of this coastal station is the
propagation into Europe on all bands but can be subject to terrible weather
during the contest season, its the price we pay to push to push the envelope!.
In this years event the CW portion was hammered with an Ice storm which only hit
the northeast corner of the state that prevented any serious effort, thankfully
this weekend we didn’t have any significant weather other than typical 50/mph
wind gusts on Sunday.

Since we primarily use Mac (Apple) for everything we do, it was time to get away
from window based contesting software. I took the plunge and tried
SkookumLogger! Wow! What a great software and it supports the YCCC SO2R box.
Bill K1GQ the developer was very helpful when I told him that my operation would
be a serious SO2R remote, he tweaked the software to my needs and within one
hour he had a working beta to support my operation!. This software is well
thought-out with amazing support! We will be using SkookumLogger from this point
forward!

Here in Maine its all about being the first USA station heard into Europe. The
key to success is having a clear frequency for an hour+ before the rest of the
USA. I was on 40M @ 1:30/pm locally (7128) and 80M (3799.5) @ 3:00/pm. My best
runs on 40M and 80M were hours prior to sunset and without any USA/VE
competition. It was worth moving from a runnable 20M to 40M than to 80M to
establish a rate. I did do some 2BSIQ during this period with some success but
was hard under these conditions, it was better to concentrate on one band and
search on the second radio. Here in Maine I didn’t hear a single JA on any
band!

All the antennas are GXP (Poland) other than the 80M 4SQ which are DXE
freestanding verticals, these antennas are designed to handle the harsh weather
here in Maine.

Station:

1.) K3+KPA1500 (160) 4SQ
2.) K3+KPA1500 (80m) 4SQ + second multiband antenna (10/15/20/40)
3.) K3+Expert 1.3 (10/15/20/40m)

160M - 4SQ with elevated radial system
80M   - 4SQ with total 256 buried radials
40M   - 3EL @ 126’ and 2EL @ 90’
20M   - 4/4/4 GXP tri-banders @ 120/90/60  - GXP 3EL 90'
15M   - 4/4/4 GXP tri-banders @ 120/90/60  - GXP 3EL 90'
10M   - 4/4/4 GXP tri-banders @ 120/90/60  - GXP 3EL 90’

W1/Eastport (photos) can be found here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ICn92sVTncH2Jwty2
Antennas link: https://www.gxp-usa.com/
SkookumLogger: https://www.k1gq.com/SkookumLogger/

Thanks to Lee WW2DX and Rockwell WW1X my partners here at RHR for an amazing
remote experience! Stay tuned as this remote game is going to change big time by
CQWW! :)

73, Ray Higgins
W2RE.com