[3830] TBDC AE0EE Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC AE0EE Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:13:48 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MN

Total:  QSOs = 335  Total Score = 1,569

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipole up ~30', keyed entirely on a vibroplex bug.

What a contest!  I planned on a pretty full-time effort, and was able to follow
through with that plan.  The score that resulted is my best yet for a TBDC.

I started around 4:45 PM local on Saturday, and was soon running.  About 2.5
hours later, a DX station that couldn't hear me spelled the end of the run.
Later in the evening I was able to return and run for a while longer, but when
the crush of prime-time operators got on, I wasn't able to hold out against the
bigger stations.  After things started to calm down later at night, I once again
got a run going.

While most of the contest was a really fun experience, it was tinged with a
sense of loss for W0AIH.  During one of the big contests last year, I had the
honor of operating 160 m overnight, because Paul was engaged as a Rent-a-Rev in
the morning.  This weekend as I called CQ into an almost entirely worked-out
band, I remembered doing something similar from The Farm (though a lot more
stations had been worked from W0AIH).

That said, this weekend I did work a number of DX stations (PJ2, KV4, KH6) on
the first call, which is pretty rare with my low horizontal antenna.

For "next year" I'd love to have a vertical antenna, or one which is a
little better for DX.  While an RX antenna might help things a little, most of
the stations that were calling me were pretty loud and clear.

Next year I should also think better of putting in big efforts in both the RAC
winter and TBDC contests back-to-back.  The keying was getting pretty bad toward
the end of the TBDC.