[3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 19:50:52 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 25.8

  160:    5     4        4
   80:   27    10       21
   40:   58    14       34
   20:  314    29      100
   15:  329    24       79
   10:   53     9       20
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was tracking off times on paper and somehow goofed and went almost 2 hours
over 24 for classic category and even more with the 1 hour off time rule. It was
not that serious of an effort. The low bands were really tough; I called many
who could not hear me, probably a lot due to high QRM in EU. Around 23Z Sunday
on 40 it should have been easy to work most stations. But the band was still
pretty crowded with EU stations, and I only was able work about 1 out every 4
called.

Sometimes conditions were worse than expected, especially the poor low band
conditions on 2nd evening. I could not work any EU around 24Z on 75, and only a
few EU were audible on 40 just prior. 20 was essentially closed to the south at
the start, only made 4 Q's to the west before having to go into the 40M
madness.
10 was wide open to the south as close as KP2 late afternoon Saturday (better
than expected), but totally dead whenever I checked Sunday. 15 was a bit better
than expected Saturday with most all of EU except UA3-4 in at one time or
another. But, the opening at any one time for most of the morning was often
spotty. I started working a decent QSO rate on 15 Saturday around 1315Z, logged
OH0 at 1341 and next northern EU were LY's at 1353Z. However, Germany was not in
well until right around that time. Most EU Q's were with south central and
western EU; there was a burst into OH around 1540Z. I was able to run for a
while and did well also in S&P mode from 1315-1550Z. Sunday on 15 was much
worse, but interesting to note there were some northern EU including
ES9,UA2,SM,LA,OH, and RW1 (ES9 heard for about 90 minutes) along with Med area
and nothing in between. Late in the opening at 1616Z, I was finally able to run
more than an handful of stations thanks to good condx to SP and DL, but no UK
stations. 20 was very overloaded during the EU openings which were good, but
ended a bit early, especially Sunday. I could have worked about 50-100 more EU
if I was willing to tolerate the horrible tiring QRM.
Even late afternoon Sunday well after EU closed, the band was still full of
signals top to bottom. Saturday evening to Asia was good on 20; I managed to
work 2 zone 24 stations from BV and BA both with fairly loud signals. Of note, I
only heard one VK CQ'ing on 75M (no QSO), so this contest is the first WW I can
remember with no zone 29 or 30 QSO's on any band.

Thanks for all of the calls on 15M, only ran about 15 stations on 20. It is a
tough sled at the bottom of the cycle, but at least we escaped with no solar
storm and some decent conditions on the high bands.

There were too many stations not sending their calls as well as wasting time
saying many thanks, 73 (or both), QRZ (instead of call), and other useless
verbiage. Some stations seemed to dump in their calls no matter who the poor
overwhelmed DX station was trying to call and for a few calling inexperienced
operators it worked unfortunately, but it really slows down the QSO rate.

73, Jeff