[3830] CQWW SSB OG7A(OH6MW) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ari.vepsalainen@kolumbus.fi
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OG7A(OH6MW) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 01:35:41 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OG7A
Operator(s): OH6MW
Station: OH6MW

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 37
Radios: SO2R

  160:  158    12       50
   80:  549    21       94
   40:  629    32      111
   20: 1409    32      111
   15:  332    30      109
   10:   61     6       21
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

The contest just ended and still some power to write this, send log and make
some food. It was a good choice to take one day off from work, this Monday.

I just read oh0r Pertti's story from 3830. I really admire his work and hard
efforts to work contest. He is travelling and fixing antennas in the cold
weather, climbing towers, just minutes  before contest. I feel so lucky here in
a warm radio room. All antennas and equipment working fine, feeling tired but
happy.

I left early from the office on Friday and had some special program with the
family. Got my wife bribed well :)  She even suggested that she could make some
home made pizza for me during the weekend. She came to tell me on Saturday
morning that is on the oven. I ate that on Saturday and more on Sunday. Oh boy,
I am lucky. Not always like this but you should enjoy when it is time to enjoy.
Nice to have a radio station at home.

I had a good 5 hour sleep before the contest and propagation was pretty nice if
you remember what is the sunspot cycle situation.

Ten meters opened on both days, pretty nicely on Sunday and managed to do 21
countries over there. ES-like propagation from OH to Balkan and south EU.
Fifteen opened to Usa on both days, managed to grab few guys from NA on Saturday
but on Sunday propagation to USA opened for a short period of time with s9
signals. Nice JA-runs on 20 and 15 with good signals. 20m qrm was heavy and
exhausting. Did some so2r dual cqing on both days, it was fun but still feeling
like needing more antennas. But I survived and had fun. 40m was a little bit
down, no good usa or ja runs, but average propagation anyway. It was the first
time to run cq ww 80m ssb with a decent antenna, a 4 sqr made this summer.
Propagation was good, some easy daylight dx contacts like kh6, kh2 etc on 80m.
The amounts of W and JA guys on the log on low bands is a very small. Before the
contest I read some old 80m single band logs from sm0w/oh2bh/oh2pm/oh and they
are from another world compared to this years cq ssb contest. This was mostly
eu-runs and s&p dx for me. Great signals from dx but no huge runs on 80/40.
Some spotty dx propagation on 160m, managed to work some dx but grayline was not
too good.

I used some hours for dx-hunting VP6D during Saturday. You have to do this on
weekend if you like to have some of those bandpoints, one new bandpoint catched,
nice, very happy about that even I lost some contest time. You can't have
everything. Slept 3 hours on Sunday morning. Actually slept 2 hours, picked some
mults and then slept one hour more. On Sunday evening, 20m closed to NA, s&p
all the low band mults I could hear and started to follow Formula One races from
Mexico. Fell asleep.

Woke up 23.00 Z and did some final mult/qso s&p on low bands. Great contest,
had fun, nice pileups, nice mults, propagation openings, everything you could
ask for.

3100 qsos, 3 million points, dxcc on three bands, nearly on 4.

Thank you very much.

73 Ari OH6MW OG7A

        Band     QSOs     Pts  ZN   Cty  Pt/Q
         1,8     158     179   12   50   1,1