[3830] NAQP RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 16:17:53 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WA

   80:   41    20
   40:   76    31
   20:  161    40
   15:    9     5
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  288    97  Total Score = 27,936

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #4

Comments:

My new laptop cleverly supports 5, 6 and 7 channel sound through
a single "Combo Jack." You configure this through an interface
cleverly
designed to prevent Napster users from listening to downloaded music.
Its vital for Windows to change these settings often, since everyone likes
some fresh new music settings. As the "Mambo Jack" bounces my audio
to the new Windows Music App (designed to cleverly take over all audio),
I would occasionally decode a station, and have a chance to send him by
AFSK my Windows Sounds and Notifications. It was pleasing to see him
respond with a
"QSL <wrong call containing a "7" and a "S">, now
QRZ?

I forgot to mention sometimes you have to Restart, which gives Windows
a chance to install the deferred updates which will change anything which
had been working.  I'm sticking with this as my excuse for working so few
stations on 15m. 10m I understand, but 15m???

20m was packed, even down below 14.080, even down to the WSJT-X
frequency of 14.074. Every 15 seconds I would receive an email containing
Standard Message Tx7, cleverly encoded in 14 characters to say "If you're
in charge, keep the RTTY contesters out of the FT8 window!"

A couple of unexpected visitors provided a break to this fun, and when I
got back there were only JA's on 20m, so I followed the crowd to 40m a
bit late, only 2 hours before my sunset - an ideal time for QRP operation.

After another round of audio mayhem(the settings had changed while I was
away!) I got down to serious business on 40m of listening to people CQ in
my face, or occasionally respond:
"QSL <yet another wrong call containing a "7" and a
"S">, now QRZ?

To keep a well-balanced, four band diet, I proceeded up to 80m where there
seemed to be some confusion where to operate RTTY, CW, high-fidelity
SSB roundtables, and plant grow-light noise. My "darn cussedness" kept

me in the chair right to the end, where I could breathe a sigh of relief and
watch the audio settings Mambo away as I tried to shutdown the laptop.
Apparently, closing an "App" also causes audio settings to change. I
once
worked in "technology," but we are no longer good friends...

NN7SS Burt WA (op K6UFO)

10, 15, 20m: Force12 C-31XR at 72ft
40m: Force12 2 Element Yagi at 78ft
80m: 4-square
Elecraft K3 set to 5 watts, Array Solutions wattmeter
K3/0-Mini control head
Writelog, MMTTY and 2Tone, SignaLink USB