[3830] ARRLDX CW W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:24:01 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ema

  160:    4     4
   80:   10     9
   40:   98    46
   20:  132    60
   15:   20    16
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  266   137  Total Score = 109,326

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I don't know if I should chalk this up as a learning
experience, or just frustration...

My goal, as usual, was to beat my last year's score
by 25% -- but I didn't even hit half of that.  With
my sub-optimal low HF antennas (aerials???) I know I
won't be loud, but I felt like a QRPer.  (Nothing
wrong with QRP, except when you aren't.)

Friday night was very slow.  Saturday morning started
great -- with one of the best half-hours I've ever
experienced, hitting a rate of ~75 on 20M around 10AM.
Then I realized it was because there was no one on the
other bands...  Had to stop at 6 for dinner and a
concert in Cambridge.  When I got back on around 11 PM
during the snow storm, the snow static was so
bad I could hardly hear any stations on 160/80/40.
I gave up at midnight.

Sunday morning, after driveway clearing, the bands
just didn't seem as good.  Another concert in Boston
for the afternoon (have to keep the XYL happy) so once
again back to 40 & 80 when I got home at 4pm.  Most of
what I could hear by now were dupes.  Oh well.  My
low band antennas in Maine are better and I really hear
the difference.  My high band antennas here in Woburn
are better -- but without Ol Sol it doesn't matter
much.  I think this is the first contest here where
I had more Qs on 160 than 10.

Rig: TS-2000
S&P (with my simple antennas, low power, and lack
    of typing skills, no way I can run!)
Log: N3FJP's International DX Contest Log v4.6
BIC: ~10 hours  (Official time: 14 hours)
Antennas:
   10  HB 5el yagi @ 30ft (not that it mattered much...)
   15  Rotatable Dipole @ 33ft (noisy - no F/R)
   20  HB Moxon @ 36ft (works quite well)
   80/40  trapped 80/40M dipole @ 22ft (modified
          AD DX-CC, much too low)
  160  a "temporary" 160 dipole run "zig-zag" around
          the back yard at about 15 ft average height,
          fed at the AD-CC feedpoint.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ