[3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR(@K5KG) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K8MR(@K5KG) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 05:02:37 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K5KG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FL

---------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Team: NCC/MRRC CQ

Comments:

Thanks to George, K5KG, for letting me enjoy a real station for the Sprint.

That was unexpectedly brutal! As several other southeast stations noted, things
were so bad the first hour that quitting was given some (slight) consideration.
At the start 20 was open to the west coast, but the competition from all the
east coast was difficult. Later we got a slight opening to W2, but I would call
guys and get beat out by a W8. We ended up only about 100 QSOs below
expectations for 20 meters.

I then settled into a grind away mode. Never any super rates - I think the last
hour was the best at 75. I was somewhat inspired by the thought that I may have
been the only Florida station (after last September when everybody missed it);
never heard or heard anybody working FL. About 0340 I had a super weak N4OX call
on 40, but I simply could not copy. QSY'd back to 80 hoping Jay might figure out
to follow me there. First QSO there was W4ER for the AL mult, followed by N2RM
for Florida. Shortly after I finally caught VE5MX on 40 for 3 new mults in the
last 16 minutes.

Hope to see some of you next weekend in Orlando!

73  -  Jim   K8MR