[3830] SS CW WX0B(AD5Q) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, radekl@att.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW WX0B(AD5Q) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 22:45:20 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0
   10:    0

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Started contest on 15 with good rate, but with a beam both NE & NW I quickly
noticed that nearly all callers were out west. After only 15 minutes the rate
dropped to the 60's -- the skip was too long. I moved to 20 early, remaining on
15 while looking for a frequency. Overall the first few hours weren't the best,
and I found myself trailing (or even with) the other usual suspects here in
Texas. The big guys out west were WAY ahead as a lot of activity remained on
15.

I found myself gaining on (or pulling ahead of) the other local competition for
the remainder of the contest (encouraging). I came very close to a sweep when I
found the VI high in the band on 15 Sunday. With the tribander fixed on PR/VI
all weekend, it wasn't up to the job of breaking this crucial pileup. He went
QRT the instant the big 15 was ready for him. I swept the bands aggressively
for the rest of the contest looking for a reappearance. Found NP3A CQing on 40
late (dupe) and worked a 2nd NNY at 2136z for his 9th contact. Both NNY's were
pouncers.

Late Saturday night a yellow jacket came to visit me, walking up my neck and
all over my bald head, then down across my face, nose, lips. Not wanting to get
stung, I kept running because the rates were good, so it tickled a lot for about
15 minutes. Then it landed on my wrist: WHACK!!!

I purposely used up my off time Sunday afternoon, expecting new activity to
appear on the bands into the close. That didn't work out, and things got really
slow around 0100z. When they did pick up I stopped watching the clock and kept
going after my 24 hours was up. Never done that before. I meant to stop 3
minutes before the end. Somebody on frequency said "Thank god it's
over" and I looked at the time: 0300z.

Roy -- AD5Q