[3830] SS CW K0AV Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alan.higbie@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K0AV Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 03:31:10 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K0AV
Operator(s): K0AV
Station: K0AV

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Colorado Springs
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5
Radios: SO2R

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Normally I love to read other people's excuses in the 3830 "Comments"
- - unless the excuses are mine.

3 weeks ago I had sudden appearance of S9 power line noise. K3's Noise Blanker
is great - but . . . strong adjacent signals generate IM products.

It peaks in direction of east coast, i.e. 65 degrees.

Electric utility guys came out and they concurred with my opinion of the
offending pole: a 34,500 volt line which is 1/4 mile away from my antenna - and
located 65 degrees from me. I told them I had an radio contest this weekend . .
..  Even as late as Friday there was still the hope that line crew could still
get out and fix the problem before SS started on Sat.

In spite of the noise - thought I'd give SS a try anyway.

After 20 meters started to go out I realized that slogging through S9 noise on
40 was a real drag.

Even with only QRP 5 watts I was getting out much better than I could hear.  I
bagged it after 3 hours.  Then came back Sunday at the end for a brief
appearance as "fresh meat."

Usually I have a pretty quiet location - so hopefully I'll get QRN/RFI
situation back to normal shortly.

Thanks for the QSO's.

73, Alan 60 CO