[3830] CWopsT N8Z(N8XX) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] CWopsT N8Z(N8XX) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 04:10:13 +0000
CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Oct 18

Call: N8Z
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: SLEEPY HOLLOW SP MI

Total:  26  Mults = 26  Total Score = 676

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

KD8HNF and I went out to Sleeping Bear State Park, me for an
"Activation" of the park for Michigan State Parks On The Air, and Bob
for testing out a new antenna.

I was using N8Z, special event station call, which is in honor of the upcoming
Zombie Shuffle, which will be held on Friday, 20 October.  This created a bit
of a "problem" for some folks who rely on the "Call
History" of their logging program instead of copying what is sent.  Since
N8Z is a fleeting, temporary call, it required these folks to actually copy my
name and number.  I'd say that at least 4, maybe more, folks had trouble with
the copy.  This partly was due to the fact that I was running peanut power (5
watts) and a marginal, portable antenna, but it was fun, fun, fun!

Sleeping bear dunes is close to Lansing, State Capital of Michigan, but for a
large part was shut down.  There were two picnic areas, including one at the
beach area where we set up.

Conditions were fabulous for my pipsqueak setup - operators kept answering my
call on first to third try.  Very few could not hear me, probably because they
had local RFI.

Oh, I had a logging problem which partly was due to my own ill advised action.
I came home, and fired up N1MM logger.  It wanted to do an update.  So, without
doing a backup with an ADI file, I let it.  When it came back, the times were
off by about 2 hours.  I didn't know if there's a utility for adding to the
time, so I manually edited the log, found a couple dupes, which were scored
correctly - don't know how they got into the log, but probably by operator
error. :)  Note to myself, ALWAYS make an ADI file immediately after a contest,
just in case the computer or program screws up something in the log file.

Thanks to all who pulled me through.