[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W3IP Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF W3IP Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 15:31:29 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  342   133  Total Score = 70,889

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions and participation on all bands seemed down a bit except for a nice
opening to Illinois and Wisconsin during the last hour of the contest. I had a
receive oscillation problem with my 2 meter transverter which occasionally
obliterated signals, causing lots of requests for repeats. Sorry about that.
That should be fixed soon.

As others have noted, there are a lot of technology changes that have affected
VHF contesting in recent times. Many years ago, the "XT" and
"AT" computers (which could cost $2K - in those days) could replace
paper logs and automatically check for dupes. Now for half the dollars, a
computer, a graphics card, and 3 monitors can simultaneously receive and
display multiple chat rooms, packet clusters, a local CW skimmer, WSJT-X, a pan
adapter, contribute to propagation monitors, and still have cycles left to log
contacts and check for dupes with a far more complex logging program. Since the
days when everyone wrote out paper logs, new RF hardware provides far better
radios that do a much better job pulling in weak signals and handling strong
signal environments. New solid state power amplifiers can be built smaller and
more reliably (no more tune up).  Improvements in antenna modeling techniques
have given us antennas with more gain and better patterns on the same boom
length. Each of us have to judge whether any or all of these new technologies
adds or subtracts from our enjoyment of the hobby. Paper logging is still an
option (for a while).

Regarding FT8 (and MSK-144 to a lesser extent), I think we are still in a
learning phase as a group. While both modes are great weak signal communication
tools, they can be both poorly used in places where there is a high density of
active hams. It is OK - actually preferable - for FT8 and MSK-144 operators to
be transmitting at the same time (i.e. on the same sequence) as their
neighbors. I have seen and heard of several recent examples of nearby high
power stations operating on opposite sequences from each other. Neither had a
chance of hearing a weak signal. Although there is no way to force it, new
WSJT-X operators REALLY should read the latest manual!! Many either didn't know
about (or didn't care) about the contest mode option for FT8 and WSJT-X which
led to many other operators being unnecessarily frustrated.

Thanks to all the rovers and portable stations for getting out there and
putting more grids on the air!

73, Mike, W3IP