[3830] MiQP KA8O(@K8PGJ) M/M LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pgladysz@aol.com
Subject: [3830] MiQP KA8O(@K8PGJ) M/M LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 16:36:06 +0000
Michigan QSO Party

Call: KA8O
Operator(s): K8ED K8GT N8LJ WE8P WF5X K8PGJ
Station: K8PGJ

Class: M/M LP
QTH: @K8PGJ

   80:   83     97
   40:  167    333
   20:  107     85
   15:    5      5
   10:    0      1
--------------------
Total:  362    521  CW Mults = 78  Ph Mults = 91  Total Score = 209,560

This was the 6th Multi/Multi Operation for the group which includes 4 wins as
the W8OAK EOC Team and the 2015 win as KA8O in the MIQP Contest. KA8O was run
from the home QTH of Pete, K8PGJ, sitting on 0.75 suburban acres in the City of
Troy located in Oakland County, Michigan. Seasoned Operators were K8ED Mark,
K8GT Gerry, N8LJ Lee, WE8P Fred, WF5X Randy and K8PGJ Pete.

Propagation seemed very long at the start of the event and shortened only
slightly thru the night but the bands were very quiet for noise registering
S3-5 on 40-15 meters. 80 Meters opened early with increasing noise thru the end
of the contest. Michigan stations and even those of the surrounding states and
Ontario, which was holding its own Contest, seemed very difficult to find and
work. We were surprised at the lack of stations on 20M that could be worked and
that out 80M contacts almost caught our 20M contacts.

Most of the antennas were put up portable style just before the event due to
HOA Considerations. Improvements in antenna locations and type helped for the
Contest. Antennas included: 80M Dipole E/W, 40M Dipole N/S, 40M Inverted V N/S,
20M had 2 Element Beams for each the SSB and CW station plus a N/S Dipole and
15M had a 2 Element Beam.  Effectively, the Dipoles were all Nevis Antennas.

Radio Upgrades and dual filters contributed to the minimized Intermod. This 5
Station operation utilized 3 K3’s, a Kenwood 590S and an Icom 7600 for
Radios. 100 Watts was used for all the contacts.

We were able to work 53 of 83 Counties, 48 of 50 States (missed ND and they
were holding a contest), and we worked a few Europeans, South Americans and
Caribbeans. The Operation was 40% CW.

Thanks to all who came out to Contest during this Easter Weekend event.