[3830] RTTY WPX ZF9CW(K5GO) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa5rtg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX ZF9CW(K5GO) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 09:59:50 +0000
CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: ZF9CW
Operator(s): K5GO
Station: ZF9CW

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: Cayman Brac

   40: 1493

Club: Cayman Amateur Radio Society

Comments:

Thanks to W7RY who spent time getting me set up to operate RTTY.  I had
previously made two or three contacts on RTTY using a paddle and a K3.  It was
an interesting diversion from the other modes.

Congratulations to 4M1K and P3X for the fine scores.  I wish I had thought to
look at the live scoring website early on instead of Sunday with 4 hours
remaining.  There is no better motivation than seeing that you are losing by a
couple hundred thousand points :-).

I knew I would need to have a big RTTY QSO number to overcome the points per
QSO difference for US contacts.  Thought that 1800 contacts would be easily
achieved but I had staying-awake problems. Found that I got pretty bored
clicking with a mouse and pressing enter key if the rate was less than about
70/hr.

I got my time in but ten hours of operation was in the afternoons at least an
hour before sunset.  Now that I have a better idea of what to expect, I think I
could do better if I try it again.

Best DX I remember was 4J3DJ and VU2DED.

Setup was TS-590S, N1MM Plus, AL-1200 at about 800 watts and quarter wave
vertical.

73 Stan, ZF9CW