[3830] ARRL 160 K0VXU SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K0VXU SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 19:27:57 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K0VXU
Operator(s): K0VXU
Station: K0VXU

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Kansas
Operating Time (hrs): 20:56

Total:  QSOs = 777  Sections = 82  Countries = 17  Total Score = 160,380

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

K3, TL-922A, Inverted L, N1MM+

Gave this one a bit more effort but still took valuable time off during late
afternoon Friday and Saturday and late start on Friday.  Band conditions were
decent but Saturday afternoon and into the night a storm passed making QRN very
high.   Thank goodness for the Beverage as it took down a lot of the noise so
that weaker signal could be heard.

The highlight in this one for me was working several DX stations (even some in
Europe) and snagging VY1AAA, KH6DX, and WL7E Saturday night all within a span
of an hour or so.  I was surpised early Sunday to have GM4AFF answer my CQ.
Sorrty to say that I won't be copying GW4BLE anymore.  He certainly will be
missed.

Okay, now for the bad news.  I missed PR, NNY, and WY.   I did hear a WY
station answer someone else but couldn't coax him out with a CQ up the band.
Guess he went down when I went up.

On the flip side I worked several ND, SD, NE and AR stations which usually
present a problem in other tests (spending time on 20 and not 80 or 160).
Also, I can't remember a contest where I worked some many DE and RI stations.
Many very loud signals, some approaching 60 dB over S9.

Great to hear so many of the regular contest group playing in this one.  Also,
great to hear so many of the KCCC crew in this one.

Thanks to all who were patient with me Saturday night when QRN was a steady 20
dB over S9 with crashes to 30 dB over.  I could hear the stations calling
between crashes but the QRN was too great.  Thanks to all who picked m out the
pile and awarded me a QSO.   Great contest, great fun.  Look for me next year.

73,
Russ - K0VXU