[3830] SS SSB KK4R Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk4r@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KK4R Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 01:11:58 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KK4R
Operator(s): KK4R
Station: KK4R

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA

  160:    0
   10:    0

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had nearly the whole Sweepstakes weekend to myself.  My kids are grown, and my
wife was in Nicaragua on an Operation Smile Mission.  Except for having to quit
in the afternoon Sunday, it was wonderful to operate to my heart’s content!
Although sideband isn’t my thing, I came as close as I ever have to a clean
sweep, getting 80 sections.  What did I learn?
-  Remember to hit Enter!
-  N1MM+ is my friend!  I need to learn more about it.
-  My 160m vertical was somewhat better on 40 than my 80m horizontal loop.
This was a surprise, since it gives up significant power in ground losses (est.
3dB).
-  I couldn’t get any decent runs going, which made me feel like my signal
was puny and caused me to S&P 90% of the time.  Here’s where some sage
advice might set me straight.  I couldn’t stay put for more than about 10
minutes waiting for a decent rate to develop.  Maybe I’m just not patient?
-  I need to get a history file.  It was fun to be recognized by other PVRC
players.
-  I need to spend more time with other contesters to learn from their
experience.
Rob