[3830] CQWW SSB K1LZ M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1rr@n1rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1LZ M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 00:07:43 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LZ
Operator(s): K1LZ 6Y5GC 9A5K K2SSS K3JO K6ND N1RR
Station: K1LZ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MA, USA

  160:   59    12       50
   80:  353    24       97
   40:  409    32      106
   20: 1528    33      131
   15:  701    27      115
   10:  189    20       62
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This weekend was very difficult with the terrible conditions. We didnt expect
that. We prepared the most beautiful addition to the station and propagation
condition surprised us.

We worked on this project for 1 yr prior to this contest. Everything started in
the Canary islands when we decided that the new antenna switch system and
interlock must be made correctly.

I tried to do this type of interlock for years & having worked in the
Automation and robotics business, we have the right ingredients to complete
this job. We had to bring the right people together to do the hardware and the
software.

Velimir K3JO as Electrical Engineer (working for my company) he created the
circuit diagram and it was revised dozens of times over the last year. He
always said "I'm almost done". He made many prototypes until he was
satisified that it was the best solution.

Next we had to add part of our commercial software used for our automation and
robotics, and combine it with the missing top-layer of software.

The top-layer had to be a contest logger and include the virtual layer to the
new Antenna Switching System and Interlock.

For this we contacted Kresimir-9A5K of DXLog. He understood our concept
immediately. It's beautiful to find a software engineer who also understands
hardware. I want to mention that having been in the Automation business, for 32
years, it is very important to build a team of smart people to make a concept
into a useful product.

It was amazing watching Kresimir-9A5K and Joe Fitzgerald-KM1P work together
with our hardware genius Velimir-K3JO to complete the project. Our system has
1200 relays, and 570 I/O's to accomplish this complex switching task.

I thank all of them for their hardwork on this Antenna Switch System and
Interlock for Ham Radio Contesting.

We can have 36 antennas, grouped up to 6 per band which can go to any of 18
radio and this Antenna Switch System and Interlock can be configured for: S/O,
SO2R, M/S, M-2, and M/M. We can also control the rotators and stackmatches. For
example, this weekend we had 6 radios, two were running positions and the
remaining 4 could be used as either IN-BAND stations or as Multiplier stations
on any of the other bands.

No more physical changes are required for these categories at my station, just
load the correct configuration file and use the expanded version of DXLog and
the station will be ready to go. Look for a story from Kresimir-9A5K and
Velimir-K3JO very soon.

This was amazing job by this team and of course we are going to apply this
technology to our new station in the Canary Islands, ED8X.
A big thanks for all of your hard work in the contest and for all the contacts.
CQWW CW will be much better - IT HAS GOT TO BE BETTER THAN PHONE!

Also thanks to our fantastic team this weekend @ K1LZ: Kresimir-9A5K of DXLog,
Velimir-K3JO, Zeljko-K2SSS, Charlie-N1RR, George-6Y5GC, Will-K6ND and I. Thanks
for all the contacts. CU on CW from ED8X. To CN2AA: You should be ready for the
fight. HI !!!

Signed,
Krassy - K1LZ.

Club Score breakdown: