[3830] NewEngQP W1DX M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1xx@cox.net
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP W1DX M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 15:34:38 +0000
New England QSO Party

Call: W1DX
Operator(s): K1XA W1AN W1XX W0RBN
Station: W1DX

Class: M/S LP
QTH: DUK MA
Operating Time (hrs): 8.0

   80:
   40:     14
   20:     90       1
------------------------
Total:    104       1  Mults = 39  Total Score = 8,151

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Early on, Tom put out a call for someone to go to Dukes County MA (a.k.a.
Martha's Vineyard)...as it was the only county on in 2015.  After making
inquiries with on-island hams, we got in touch with John, W0RBN, to provide
logistics on site.  As a result our CTRI Contest Group team of W1AN, W1XX, and
K1XA committed to operate Field Day style from Owen Park on Sunday thanks to
the generous hospitality of W0RBN.  After operating from home on Saturday with
fabulous conditions, we made our way to Woods Hole to catch the early morning
ferry in time to be set up at 9 AM.
   Unfortunately, as reported by many, propagation on Sunday was the worst
ever.  Running a K3, 20-meter vertical dipole, and 40 meter dipole, contacts
were often 20 minutes apart.  Stations like WN1GIV and N4PN would pop in super
strong only to disappear moments later.  Some Qs had to be completed later on.
Used to running hundreds of contacts from home, we struggled to top 100 Qs.
   We took down the station at 5 PM so as to catch the ferry back to the
continent.  But first we celebrated our effort with thanks to John, W0RBN, our
tremendous host, with a brewski at the Black Dog.  Though the score results
were far less than expected, we took solace in knowing we had helped put Dukes
County back in the QRV column. TNX to all who struggled to hear us. 73!  --
John, W1XX